Old Hotels, Mediocre Service - You be the judge!

Submitted: Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:26
ThreadID: 119598 Views:3576 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I spotted this coming across the newswires on the currency trading desk this morning!

Old Hotels, Mediocre Customer Service

I’m all for revamping our “Old Hotels”, but strewth when they do can I simply ask these two things, and I did spell this out in my blog "What Happened to our Pubs".

Bangers and mash on the menu, and

A standard issue beer – not something made from water taken from the side of an east facing hill in a place I can’t even pronounce (in spite of having three schooners under the belt!)

Good weekend to all, in fact today I log-off from the currency trading screen today for a seven-week sojourn into the West Australia deserts!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 13:27

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 13:27
I seem to find enough Old Pubs with bangers & mash to satisfy me Baz, although their accommodation may still be of the era. lol
But most 'older' motels could sorely do with some upgrade. Their rates can approach that of some 4-Star city hotels but their decor and facilities do not!

A "good weekend" for us too. We are also heading off on Saturday to WA for 12 weeks. The Pilbara particularly, via the Anne Beadell Hwy. (Yes, we are suckers for punishment)
You never know, we may see you along the way. Have a great time.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557348

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 14:25

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 14:25
Agree with what Aiian says. I am quite happy to see the foreign tourists stay in Sydney or Brisbane. I prefer old style pubs. Not keen on the outdated, over priced motels though. Always believed in the KISS principle. Old pubs have character(and characters). 5 star accommodation is not my cup of tea. I,ll leave that to the rich and fancy pants tourist....
FollowupID: 843657

Follow Up By: bruce bb1 - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 15:44

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 15:44
Bangers and mash, should enacted in law to be available anywhere, but what about the hard to find "Lamb's fry with mash and bacon", and my mum's rissoles should also be made universally available.
FollowupID: 843660

Follow Up By: OBJ - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 17:14

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 17:14
If you drive slowly you will probably find the AB Highway has just been graded. Julie and I were in Maralinga and Robin said that because there were some defence personnel coming there they had been given some money to fix it up. He expected the grading to start towards the end of July.
Enjoy!
OBJ
FollowupID: 843664

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 17:24

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 17:24
That would be great OBJ, although if it is graded we lose brownie points and the honour of having travelled the 'Worst Road in Australia'. LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 843665

Follow Up By: Member - backtracks - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 18:16

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 18:16
I'm all for brownie points ! Surely not graded the whole way ! I'll believe it when I see it, which may be a while !
FollowupID: 843701

Reply By: Slow one - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 14:52

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 14:52
Baz,
I think they all should be pulled down and replaced with Langham style 5 star pubs.

Free Salmonella with every high tea. Sorry Baz, one problem is they don't serve Bazza (Vietnamese sewer fish) only Nile perch.
AnswerID: 557353

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 08:45

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 08:45
Totally agree-let them stay in the cities!
We just did a jaunt from the east coast, across to Alice and up the Tanami, around the Kimberley and home...it was a bit quicker than most of you would do but we're not grey nomads yet and have work to return to!!
Our little home made camper trailer has no kitchen so we well-and-truly take our tourism dollars with us to the pubs for tea! We only eat "in" when we have nowhere to buy a cooked meal.
(I'll be sad when we buy our "real" van one day because this system means that we get a real holiday and don't have to do all the regular cooking/washing up!)
I'd reluctantly give any pub a low score because you never know if the regular cook was away that night and one of the waitresses had to step in (that's what happened at Tilmouth Well and she was so excited to hear from us that she'd cooked such a damn good steak!).
We ate great steaks across Australia and oh, the cheese cake at Home Valley Station and the nightly spread at Drysdale River Station, the homely meals at the Ellangowan Hotel in Augathella... and even the burgers at Borroloola had us back the next night for more.
We camped next to a Japanese couple in Camooweal who happily heated up food in the camp kitchen before retreating to the warmth of their little tent.
Not all tourists want 5 star in the cities. I did 5 star with a European Evergreen tour a few years ago and it was great, but I honestly feel sorry for those who think that's all that's important.
Let's celebrate the fact that we are wiser to more of the great things in this country than they are!
Cheers to the little country pubs who do a decent job!

:)
AnswerID: 557373

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 10:13

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 10:13
I like your attitude Robyn. Thanks for brightening up my day.
FollowupID: 843688

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 14:54

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 14:54
Ah, can't agree with you guys.

We have an occasional meal in a hotel or roadside cafe, but most of the time prefer to cook for ourselves on the BBQ plate, in the camp oven, or over a camp fire. There is nothing like the smell and taste of freshly baked bread straight out of the camp oven and again, the time spent in kneading the dough and waiting for it to rise is a therapy in itself.
Cooking and washing up can be a relaxing way to while away some time in an easy going manner. We never treat it as "a chore".

27 days to go before our camping trip to the Channel Country with our close friends.
But who's counting:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 843694

Reply By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 09:50

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 09:50
There are sone Allan. One at Middletonthat was well worth stopping at but I must agree they do seem to be changing.

We found some bangers and mash once. So I ordered them. Crap!!! The mash was full of small bits of greenery and spices and the banger was a goumet sausage from the Adealide Hills with something stuck up the middle. Yes, that's what they told me when I asked after returning it, mostly uneaten, "A gourmet sausage ...." Oh yes. The gravy was full of spices also. Not that lovely stuff that Grandma, Mum and I make from the leftovers in the bottom of the pan. It also had a tang to it like someone tipped a bottle of curry powder and chille in it.

That was Innamincka! We will never eat in that or the Birdsville Pub either as they are both owned by the same idiot. At least you can get a VB at both. And a pie at the bakery will do me. At least the tomato sauce is realistic.Well it wasn't ketchup last time we were there.

Stayed in a cabin and went to the pun once for a meal. All I wanted after a couple of weeks in the scrub was a good old traditional ( > 90 years old) "home" tasting meal. Yuk.

And need I mention the rude mob at the next table who gave us such a "stare" when the grand daughter fell off her chair and hit her head on the concrete floor. Luckily we were dressedup with the polished things!!!! Her Dad was ropeable. They had driven all the ay up to meet us for a couple of days from Adelaide and she got a "split head" - No high chairs.

7 days to lift off. Now I hope the stitches come out okay and the wound healed enough to go for a drive. More bloody cancer.

Phil
AnswerID: 557375

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 13:29

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 13:29
You quite obviously have no taste buds , killed off by drinking VB.
FollowupID: 843798

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 13:43
I gather that you like the foriegn boutique beers. Or heaven help us, you are a queenslander.

I actually like Hahns light when I do drink. Normally I don't drink beer, nor wine. Just a cuppa tea will do me. Not even taking a beer to the Simpson.

Departure imminent.

Phil
FollowupID: 843799

Reply By: slave - Monday, Jul 27, 2015 at 19:29

Monday, Jul 27, 2015 at 19:29
I read your blog post and was thinking about the most typical out back hotel that we had been to and low and behold there it was in the photos, The Royal Mail Hotel at Hungerford. Cant beat those well worn floorboards and the newspaper clippings on the wall, or the 'local' sitting in the corner who was going to get his 'town car' to pick up the visitor who was arriving by plane.

There are others but many have started to cater for the tourist. Muttaburra was another hotel that we spent a few pleasant evenings at as well that catered to locals not trendies.
AnswerID: 557447

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 13:53

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 13:53
Actually the Exchange Hotel [ Muttaburra] has been fairly quite of late , the drought is taking its toll , whereas on a normal Friday night the pub would do anything 50/70 meals [ not to bad when the population in town only just stretches to 100 ] with the lingering drought the property owners / managers /staff just cannot afford the expense of a Friday night of a few ales - dinner and Phil & Shona's & K'lani's karaoke to midnight and beyond ,,,,, bring on the rain…..
FollowupID: 843800

Follow Up By: slave - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 14:17

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 14:17
Yes they are lucky to still have a hotel there. We had to make to quick trips up there a couple of years ago and things werent good then.

Phil and Shona do a great job, they a lovely couple. The black sauce they sell is fantastic
FollowupID: 843801

Sponsored Links